xsl-list

Re: Element type "xsl:stylesheet" must be declared

2003-12-10 11:01:06

You never _need_ to declare entities in your stylesheet, for example if
you did not declare nbsp you could just use   instead which is just
as easy to type, and doesn't involve the syntax complications of a
<!DOCTYPE at the top, and will produce identical output (since it forms
identical input to xslt)

I understand the above answer.  Maybe this is a different issue, but I don't
understand the following entity declaration--from the example "Main
stylesheet" in Dave Pawson's "XSL-FO":

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
    <!ENTITY sp "<xsl:text> </xsl:text>">
    ]>
    <xsl:stylesheet

I'm sure the answer is in the book or FAQs, but I can't find it--doubtless
because I'm so new to all this that I don't know where to look.  I'm using
oXygen, and I don't get an error message with the above.  I just don't
understand the purpose of the entity declaration.

Thanks to anyone who doesn't mind answering a rank beginner question.

Susan