xsl-list

Re: Using Foreach with Attribute values

2003-12-10 05:16:27
This is FAQ. See http://www.jenitennison.com/xslt/grouping/index.html

Do not use for-each approach but apply-templates instead.

Cheers,
Jarkko

< I am attempting to merge an XSL and XML file to generate a PDF, and I
< have encountered a problem that I can't find a solution to.
<
< The XML file that I am working with has the following format:
<
< <data>
<   <products>
<     <product category="Cat 1">
<       <value1>valA</value1>
<       <value2>valB</value2>
<     </product>
<     <product category="Cat 2">
<       <value1>valC</value1>
<       <value2>valD</value2>
<     </product>
<     <product category="Cat 3">
<       <value1>valE</value1>
<       <value2>valF</value2>
<     </product>
<     <product category="Cat 2">
<       <value1>valG</value1>
<       <value2>valH</value2>
<     </product>
<   </products>
< </data>
<
< As you can see there are 2 products of type "Cat 2", now what I am
< attempting to achieve is to create a PDF (using Apache FOP) with 3
< tables (one for each category) and within each table put the values that
< have that category.  So something like this:
<
< Cat 1
< valA valB
<
< Cat 2
< valC valD
< valG valH
<
< Cat 3
< valE valF
<
< I have managed to do simple foreach, but I can't seem to find a way of
< doing this using the "category" attribute to group items.
<
< One thing that could be an issue here, is that I don't have any control
< of the "category" attribute value, so it isn't possible to hardcode the
< XSL file to pull out specific values by attribute value.  In other words
< this needs to be 100% dynamic, as on 1 run the XML may have 2 categories
< and 6 products, on another it may have 40 categories and 500 products.
<
< Regards
< Manuel Reyes
<