xsl-list

RE: Re: Fixed Line Length Output

2003-12-08 16:42:00
Hello, all.

Thank you for tackling this subject. I have been wrestling with this
same thing as I have a templating system that generates text e-mail
messages where the line length can be no more than 72 characters. This
example has opened up some interesting options as far as how to do that
with certain pieces...

However, this example assumes that the information gotten from a node is
never going to be longer than 25 characters (or whatever the desired
length is). In my case I have movie descriptions that are often times
300-400 characters in length, and I need to put line-breaks every 72
characters (or where it makes sense to do so). Is there any way to
account for this? Here is example xml:

<movieDesc>
<description>They were betrayed by one of their own. Now the next heist
isn't just about money - it's about payback.</description>
<description>One's an amateur real estate broker. The other's a yoga
instructor. Believe it or not, they're also two of LA's finest
detectives!</description>
<description>The mild-mannered Jerry has second thoughts about his
daughter's wedding when he meets the groom's outrageous
father!</description>
<description>Return to the swinging sixties with Renee Zellweger and
Ewan McGregor as they engage in a stylish battle of the
sexes.</description>
<description>When Willard decides it's time for revenge, his loyal,
furry friends become his own personal army.</description>
<description>Young friends lost deep in the Appalachian hills race to
find civilization as they're pursued by horrors beyond their
imagination.</description>
<description>Two girls must wade through the emotional debris that
clutters their lives after a tragic event brings them
together.</description>
</movieDesc>

Thanks for any input!

Cynthia