xsl-list

RE: Too slow to process XML file over 1MB

2003-12-07 21:44:49
Your problem is the loading of the large [well its not that large, I work
with some over 25mb :)] xml file.

Try running a routine to load the xml file into the XSLTProcessor then cache
it into using an Application variable. Subsequent parses will be HEAPS
quicker as the XML is loaded into the processor and in memory.

One project I work on that has a 35mb XML file takes 15-30sec to load into
memory but subsequent parsing with XSL takes less than half a second or
so...

Hope it helps.

Todd

Deal All:

I followed the instruction as specified by Microsoft MSDN
website
"http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en
-us/xmlsdk/htm/xsl_interactive_1hmb.asp"
to build up a book search ASP application. The catalog.asp
works perfectly if I use Microsoft sample XML file books.xml
which can be found on
"http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en
-us/xmlsdk/htm/sdk_booksxml_30rw.asp".
  However, it doesn't seem to work at all when I added many
more book entries into books.xml.  I added 1000 more book
entries into the xml file and the addition makes file bigger
than 1MB.  After the addition,  the webbrowser basically
stopped responding whenever I ran the catalog.asp.
According the MSDN, this ASP file has lots of performance
advantages by using XSLProcessor, but if it can't even
process a 1000 books XML file, what benefits XML or XSL can
bring to me.  Is there any limitation about the usage of XML?

Thanks a lot

Jack