xsl-list

Re: Apostrophe escaping in contains().

2003-12-02 13:08:47
Hi Ben,

At 02:33 PM 12/2/2003, you wrote:
       Thanks, Wendell. I got it fixed.

Cool.

...and in your other thread, why are you using disable-output-escaping?

I'm reading data that has embedded markup into an SQL table. So, it's getting a little tricky...I need to keep the markup, but drop things like line ends, and my latest fun is converting every apostrophe into \'.

You may want to check out EXSLT.org either for vendor-neutral extensions to help with this kind of thing, or just for ideas.

If you're writing out plain text, d-o-e is on already so you don't need it. Without seeing more, it wouldn't be fair to judge ... but we XSLTers get antsy when we see d-o-e because it is (a) risky (makes introducing errors and problems downstream really easy), (b) non-portable, and (c) usually not necessary.

It sounds, however, that you're trying to push the edges with XSLT, which wasn't really meant to be a general-purpose text-wrangling language useful for up-conversions. Hence the kinds of difficulties you're running into.

You may also want to consider trying XSLT 2.0, currently in draft but largely implemented in recent versions of Saxon. Its scope is much broader, and it has support for regular expressions and all kinds of goodies.

Cheers,
Wendell

--->Ben

Wendell Piez