xsl-list

Fwd: Looking for a starting point that can be used to repeatedly/recursively transform an input stream

2003-12-01 09:26:09
Folks,

 Good morning. I'm new to this list, so that might be a FAQ, but based on my
review of it I don't think so, hence my posting. I need a transformation that
is, in a sense, "mutating". By this I mean I need the transform to incorporate
itself into the output stream, along with the input content, wrapped in a
generic container. Consider for example the following xml:

initial XML stream
<resultSet>
 <anElement>value</anElement>
 <anotherElement> value </anotherElement>
</resultSet>

subsequent XML stream

<differentresultSet>
 <anElement>value</anElement>
 <anotherElement> value </anotherElement>
</differentresultSet>

realize that these two streams are not available concurrently, but serially. I
also don't want to cache the file explicitly to address this need. I would like
to transform the first in such a way that a new transformation is produced, one
that could transform the second when passed through it into a merged product,
say something like the following:

<containers>
<container>
 <resultSet>
 <anElement>value</anElement>
 <anotherElement> value </anotherElement>
</resultSet>
</container>
<container>
<differentresultSet>
 <anElement>value</anElement>
 <anotherElement> value </anotherElement>
</differentresultSet>
</container>
</containers>

This would be able to add as many containers as required, one for each time it
was called. The endpoint at any point in time would be parseable into a set of
containers.

Does this make sense? Can someone give me a reasonable starting point?

Thanks, Alan

Alan Johnson
Senior Scientist
Scientific Research Corporation