xsl-list

Re: FW: Linear counting problem in nested loop

2004-01-25 06:44:47
At 2004-01-24 13:47 -0500, Wang, Dongzhi (ACF) wrote:
I have the following XML and want to implement such that I can have a linear counter increment with each iteration of the parent for-each loop and also the nested for-each loop.

This has just recently been discussed on this list and the use of counters is a classical programming approach that cannot be employed easily (or at all in some cases) in XSLT. XSLT provides facilities for hierarchical processing of XML documents.

I supplied two one-line solutions to this problem in the following post:

  http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200401/msg00884.html

I hope this helps.

.................... Ken

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<MENU>
    <MenuItems>
        <MenuLabel>Menu 1</MenuLabel>
        <SubMenuItems>
            <SubMenuLabel>Sub Menu 1</SubMenuLabel>
        </SubMenuItems>
        <SubMenuItems>
            <SubMenuLabel>Sub Menu 11</SubMenuLabel>
        </SubMenuItems>
    </MenuItems>
    <MenuItems>
        <MenuLabel>Menu 2</MenuLabel>
        <SubMenuItems>
            <SubMenuLabel>Sub Menu 2</SubMenuLabel>
        </SubMenuItems>
    </MenuItems>
</MENU>

e.g. The counter should return as:
            1 for Menu 1
            2 for SubMenu 1
            3 for SubMenu 11
            4 for Menu 2
            5 for SubMenu 2

So far, what I got is the counter breaks when it reaches the second <MenuItems>, as it doesn't know about the subMenu from the first MenuItems counts 3 already...

Thanks a lot!
Dongzhi

--
Public courses: sign up for one or both soon to reserve your seat!
Each week:  Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath;  Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc