xsl-list

RE: Count - via database or xsl

2004-01-24 08:09:42
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Williams

<snip />
From your reply, it looks like you are suggesting is more efficient (which
is what I supposed I expected really) that the database application that
will produce the xml file should do the count for us.  Is that right?

Up to a certain extent, yes. If you know beforehand the type of nodes whose
number you are going to need and that you're going to access that number a
lot of times.

If you would only need to test once at processing-time whether a certain
type of node exists, however, I see no reason why you wouldn't use an XPath
expression for that (as opposed to having an attribute with value 0
occupying valuable storage space?)

Cheers,

Andreas