xsl-list

RE: matching the first following sibling

2004-01-22 09:58:33

Dear All,

I have trouble with matching the first following sibling which has a
child's value differ from the current one's.

I need my output look like this:

3000: 9
5000: 5
4000: 8

But I can only get the first line,  3000 : 9

Here is my xslt:

<xsl:template match="ProductList">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="Substance[position() = 1 ]" />
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Substance">
  <xsl:value-of select = "productId"/>
   :
  <xsl:value-of select = "sum( num  |
following-sibling::Substance[productId = $productId ]/num)" />

I assume you're defining the variable productId to be the value
of the productId child that is matched by the template
(i.e. the value produced by the first xsl:value-of).

  <!--  now check if there is another unique product, if so, call this
template recursively, but this DOES NOT work   -->
  <xsl:apply-templates select="following-sibling::Substance[productId
!=  ./productId and position() = 1 ]" />

Part of the problem here is that "./productId" is the same as "productId".
Both are evaluated in the context of the following-sibling::Substance
nodes. What you probably meant was
   <xsl:apply-templates
        select="following-sibling::Substance
                [productId !=  current()/productId and position() = 1 ]" />

Above where you used $productId, you have the same issue.
In both cases you could either use current()/productId, or
define a productId variable (once) and use it (both times).

(But yes, kakridge's solution is cleaner and scales much better.)

Lars

</xsl:template>

I have this xml data:

<ProductList>