xsl-list

Re: JSR 206 (JAXP 1.3) Public Draft

2004-01-08 09:26:27
Henry Zongaro wrote:

Hello,

A public review draft of JAXP 1.3 [1] was recently issued under the Java Community Process: JSR 206. The public review period ends January 15. I would encourage users and developers of Xalan-Java to take a look, and submit any comments they might have.

Thanks,

Henry
[1] http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr206/index.html

I have used URIResolvers quite a bit in my projects. I have also tried to make my code use all the popular jaxp XSL processors. It has been a sad experience because the way they are implemented differ from each other (even xalan and XSLTC differ, as I have explained on the lists here in the past). This new spec does little to clarify things.

Under Transformer.getURIResolver() it says:

"Get an object that will be used to resolve URIs used in document(), etc."

What does 'etc' mean?

Under Transformer.setURIResolver it says:

"If the resolver argument is null, the URIResolver value will be cleared, and the default behavior will be used."

Does this mean that if a URIResolver was set on the TransformerFactory, it would fallback to it? Does this mean you need to call the set method with a null to get the default (factory's resolver)?

In the TransformerFactory.getURIResolver it says:

"Get the object that is used by default during the transformation to resolve URIs used in document(), xsl:import, or xsl:include."

So if you get your Transformer from a TransformerFactory which one resolves xsl:include/import (confused over the use of 'etc' above))?

In the TransformerFactory.setURIResolver it says:

"Set an object that is used by default during the transformation to resolve URIs used in xsl:import, or xsl:include."

This makes no mention of document() as mentioned in TransformerFactory.getURIResolver.

I think the spec should clearly define the behavior of setURIResolver for both interfaces. IMHO it should work like this:

- if a resolver is set on the factory it is used for xsl:import/include
- if a resolver is *not* set on the factory the base URI of the XSL is used to resolve the import/include'd XSL relative to the base URI
- if a resolver is set on the transformer it is used for document()
- if a resolver is *not* set on the transformer the base URI of the XSL is used to resolve a relative XML

what do you think?

best,
-Rob

Henry Zongaro      Xalan development
mailto:zongaro(_at_)ca(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com