xsl-list

RE: Getting all the values between empty elements

2004-01-05 14:06:25
I have one final XPath-related question.

Optimist!

If I have a series of sibling elements like <a/>, below:

how can I get at "everything between one a and the next a"?

If the <a> elements are always at the same (top) level, this isn't too
difficult. If they can be at any depth, it gets tough, though there are
solutions in the archive of the list.

You can do something along the lines of

<xsl:for-each select="a">
  <xsl:variable name="next"
select="generate-id(following-sibling::a[1])"/>
  <xsl:apply-templates select="following::sibling::node()
    [generate-id(following-sibling::a[1]) != $next or $next='']"/>

Michael Kay

Right now, I am formatting by matching on <br/> and looping
backwards (this is greatly simplified).

<xsl:template match="br">

      <xsl:for-each select="preceding-sibling::a">

              <xsl:value-of select="preceding-sibling::text()[1]"/>

      </xsl:for-each>

</xsl:template>

But, of course, I've run into the problem that what is
in-between <a/>s, could contain elements that would call for
further application of templates - it might not be text-alone.

This is my last question on this particular problem.  Thank
you very much, everyone who has helped me thus far. I hope
eventually I will progress to a point where I can say
something that is of help to someone else.

KP