xsl-list

RE: defining namespace / functions (XSLT 1)

2004-02-23 14:03:11
The drawback to this is that in XSLT 1.0, you can't really return a
value from a template; you can only write nodes to the current result
tree. You can capture this result in an xsl:variable, but this will
always create copies of nodes rather than references. xsl:function in
XSLT 2.0 handles this much better.

Michael Kay

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Kaleb Pederson
Sent: 23 February 2004 18:03
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] defining namespace / functions (XSLT 1)

I currently have some stylesheets that make use of various extension
functions, but I would like to hide them in a
namespace/function so I can
simply call a single function that will handle the
implementation details.
What would be the best way of going about this?

I'm fairly new to XSLT, but think the following would work:

<xsl:template name="my:node-set">
      <xsl:param name="inval"/>
      <xsl:if test="$inval != ''">
              ... choose the right extension / function ...
              ... pass $inval as parameter ...
      </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

If I were to do this, and in the case that I return a
node-set, would I still
be able to perform all the standard XPath queries on it or
would it somehow
get converted to a result set?  This implementation seems to have its
limitations, but is better than having many identical
xsl:choose statements
in there.

I've found some archived messages by Jeni and others
indicating that some
discussions were in place (about three years ago) to allow
the creation of
functions?

Any suggestions? Any good links?

Thanks for the help.

--Kaleb
PS: a sample of one of my current methodologies follows

///////// my stylesheet currently has something like
//////////// <xsl:choose>
      <!-- search for the various node-set functions -->
      <xsl:when test="function-available('msxsl:node-set')">
              <xsl:apply-templates

select="msxsl:node-set($sorted-pages)/site-indexed-content" />
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:when test="function-available('xalan:nodeset')">
              <xsl:apply-templates

select="xalan:nodeset($sorted-pages)/site-indexed-content" />
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:when test="function-available('exsl:node-set')">
              <xsl:apply-templates

select="exsl:node-set($sorted-pages)/site-indexed-content" />
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>
              <xsl:text>The XML implementation in use is not
supported</xsl:text>
      </xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>