xsl-list

Re: catch MathML

2004-02-20 16:04:55
David,

i owe you a beer :)

thanks a million !

/maia

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Carlisle" <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 11:41 PM
Subject: Re: [xsl] catch MathML

in my dtd im referencing MathML by
excellent taste!, everyone's dtd ought to do this:-)

the very silly question i have is why isn't
That's not silly at all, you are in very good company, the question gets
asked a lot (I'm sure an answer will be in the faq, somwehere)

MathML is in the namespace http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML (the
oldest namespace allocated by W3C, except for the namespace defined in
the namespace rec:-) this namespace is defaulted by the DTD so even if
you have not got an explicit namespace declaration, all the mathml
elements will be in this namespace.

unprefixed element names in Xpath always mean elements in no-namespace
so in your stylesheet go
xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML";
then use m:math this will match your math element (even though the
element in the document isn't prefixed)

Please don't use the dtd

"http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/mathml2.dtd";

That was corrected by errata to MathML 2, and replaced altogether in
MathML 2 2nd edition, the correct dtd is
http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/mathml2.dtd
see the notes at

http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD
and
http://www.w3.org/Math/characters.

Unfortunately the W3C rules on publishing in TR area mean it's not
possible to change any files after they are published which is
reasonable for documents but bad for machine readable files like DTD,
which is why in the 2nd edition of MathML makes the normative DTD in the
/Math area rather than in /TR.

David
Co Editor of MathML2 when I'm not chatting on this list

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew