xsl-list

RE: Counting nodes efficiently

2004-02-19 02:07:28

I wrote:

1.  Create a node-set by selecting all the elements you wish
to count and numbering them using position().  You can then
query into this node-set using the generate-id() function to
get the correct number for the element you're processing.
This only requies one pass of the data so its quite efficient.

2.  Write a SAX Filter in java that numbers the elements on
their way into the transform.  You can then select this
number as if it was already in the data.

3.  If you are using saxon, you can substring the value
returned from generate-id() after the 'e', as the generated
id's take form 'dxxeyy' where d is the document number and e
is the element number.

...having got the wrong end of the stick. (I guess I read the title more
than the post)

:-)