xsl-list

Re: XML validation

2004-02-18 13:05:38
Kotes,

At 02:13 PM 2/18/2004, you wrote:
I am trying to validate my XML against DTD or Schema. Can anybody suggest me which one is the better way??

Sure, but others will disagree, and it's not on topic for this list in any case.

The real answer is "it depends", although if you get me in a punchy mood I might say "Relax NG". (Too bad Xalan doesn't support it.)

Assuming you only need to please yourself (your validation is entirely local), I'd start with a DTD and move to a Schema if and when you discover you need Schema features that DTDs don't offer. There are plenty of tools that will generate a Schema from a DTD.

Also is there any document availble showing the methods to do validation using XALAN..

Don't know, and that's way off topic.

I sometimes point Java programmers (and others) to ER Harold's Cafe Con Leche, and to his print books on XML in general. http://www.cafeconleche.org.

Good luck,
Wendell