xsl-list

RE: multiple outputs

2004-02-18 05:19:47
It's not clear from your message, but I think you are looking to serialize more
than one document from a single transformation. This is not provided for in XSL
1.0. Some processors implement this as an extension, so whether or not this can
be done depends on which XSL processor you use. How the extension is called
will vary from processor to processor, so check the docs on yours to find out
if this is possible and how it is done. This is a FAQ, so search this list's
archives for answers.

Now a comment on your style. Based on the question and the use of
<xsl:for-each> in your stylesheet, I surmise that you are relatively new to
XSLT. You will be well served to spend the time to incorporate XSLT's
programming worldview into your own thinking. Search the archives for "push
model" and "pull model". XSLT is more like SQL than it is like C. That is to
say, your templates should describe what is to be done and not how to do it.
The primary use <xsl:for-each> is to permit sorting rather than to loop through
sets of elements as you would in an imperative language.
--
Charles Knell
cknell(_at_)onebox(_dot_)com - email

-----Original Message-----
From:     Shadab <mohammad(_dot_)shadab(_at_)adeptia(_dot_)com>
Sent:     Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:12:43 +0530
To:       <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Subject:  [xsl] multiple outputs

Hi,

I am having problem creating xsl which would render multiple outputs from a
single source file.

eg.

say source xml is:

<Root>
<Record><one>1</one></Record>
<Record><one>2</one></Record>
</Root>

and xsl is:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
version="1.0">
    <xsl:template match="/">
        <Sheet>
             <xsl:for-each select="Root/Record">

                <xsl:if test="one=1">
                <sheet1>
                  <col1>
                    <xsl:value-of select="one"/>
                 </col1>
                </sheet1>
               </xsl:if>

                <xsl:if test="one=2">
                <sheet1>
                  <col1>
                    <xsl:value-of select="one"/>
                 </col1>
                </sheet1>
               </xsl:if>
                <!--for both conditions the output has to be sent to
different stream and output should be from root downwards.-->

            </xsl:for-each>
        </Sheet>
    </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

now based on the 'if' condition applied below the 'for' loop the output is
to be redirected to different output streams.

So one solution is to have a sequence of ifs to direct output using
different result fragments but this will only send a fragment of the output
to the stream and not the whole well formed xml starting from <Sheet>
downwards.

so two outputs could be

<Sheet>
     <col1>1</col1>
<Sheet>

and

<Sheet>
    <col1>2</col1>
<Sheet>

Any ideas how to have the complete output in any number of streams based on
conditions which may not be at root level but further down.

Thanks,
Shadab