xsl-list

RE: Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span

2004-02-18 03:49:27

No, I do not have any examples; partly because I am
speculating instead of comparing implementations. However, an
RTF can be optimized for addition,  while a node-set must
allow fast traversal and direct (XPath-addressed) access.
Many RTFs are not used
as node-sets, thus this should make sense.

Ok, that's from an implementors point of view.  From a developers point
of view, converting to a node set is a pain.  Is it not possible for the
processor to initially use RTFs and then convert to a node-set
internally when needed?  Excuse my naivety here, but it seems the
obvious solution.

Does anyone actually do anything serious with an RTF anyway (without
converting to a node-set)?  Im scratching my head to think of an example
where the processor would be wasting processing time using node-sets
over RTFs.