xsl-list

Announce: Free updates of new electronic XSL book editions to existing customers - XSL List

2004-02-13 20:12:34
This announcement is to existing customers of Crane's electronic books that we sell off our web site: your free updates are now available for the next editions and by now you should have received email from us. Your one-time purchase fee entitles you to no-charge access to all future editions of the titles that you buy.

I apologize to the list for taking up the bandwidth, but I've received over 280 bounced announcement messages due to expired email addresses and spam filters, and without useful email addresses I cannot get word out to these customers that the updates to which they are entitled are available. I'm hoping that most of our customers are on these four mail lists. This will be the tenth free book for customers of the first edition of the XSLT book, and a lot of email addresses have changed since the first release.

If you are a customer and your email address changes, please let us know so that you will be informed of your future free copies.

Free excerpts of these two books are available from our web site for anyone interested in learning more about these publications and in having helpful reference guides. The books are extensively indexed, hyperlinked and bookmarked for effective PDF navigation.

Here is the meta data for the new editions:

  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
  (XSL Transformations and the XML Path Language)
  Eleventh Edition - 2004-02-03 - ISBN 1-894049-12-8
  Copyright (c) 2004 Crane Softwrights Ltd.
  / 407 Pages / Subscription price includes free updates,   /
  /           / soft-copy of included examples, and an      /
  /           / accessible rendition and 10 PDF renditions. /
  /           / Free 148-page download preview excerpt.     /
  / Free prepaid copy for every U.S. Government employee.   /

  Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
  (Extensible Stylesheet Language Formatting Objects)
  Fifth Edition - 2004-02-12 - ISBN 1-894049-13-6
  Copyright (c) 2004 Crane Softwrights Ltd.
  / 477 Pages / Subscription price includes free updates,   /
  /           / soft-copy of included examples, and an      /
  /           / accessible rendition and 10 PDF renditions. /
  /           / Free 247-page download preview excerpt.     /
  / Free prepaid copy for every U.S. Government employee.   /

US Government employees are directed to the same web site location where they first obtained their original copies. I am informed that those copies have been updated as well, ready for you to download. If you need to find the intranet site again, please follow the link from our home page.

A note regarding the XSLT book: unless I have to rush out a new "bug fix" edition (not expected), this will be the last edition devoted to XSLT and XPath 1.0. Future editions (to which you will still be entitled for free) will cover XSLT 2.0. I will probably keep the Eleventh Edition around for those who need to learn 1.0 without the distractions of the focus of future editions on 2.0.

Regarding the XSL-FO book: I haven't incorporated any XSL-FO 1.1 constructs and will wait until the new Recommendation is finalized before doing so, so there will probably still be a few editions focused solely on XSL-FO 1.0 before then.

I'm anticipating having good fodder for the materials after the upcoming world tour of XSL training (the handouts are derived from these books) in the next few months. Please send in your feedback to add to the feedback from students.

We still sell individual, site-wide and world-wide licenses for companies who wish to make a copy of our book available on internal intranets privately to employees (not customers).

Thanks!

cc: XML Dev, XSL List, WWW-XSL-FO, Yahoo-XSL-FO

--
Public courses: upcoming world tour of hands-on XSL training events
Each week:    Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO

G. Ken Holman                  mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.           http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0     +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
Male Breast Cancer Awareness   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc