xsl-list

RE: SAXON: Generate 10 elements per page

2004-02-12 06:17:35
Lets limit the rows to 100 than 1 million.  It will generate 10 pages.
What will be the best way to generate html pages using saxon?

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Welch [mailto:AWelch(_at_)piper-group(_dot_)com]
Sent: 12 February 2004 14:06
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] SAXON: Generate 10 elements per page

I have the following xml document with 1 million rows.
I want to generate html pages using SAXON with 10 rows on each page.

Any suggestion?
/s

<import>
 <Row>
  <Field1>Match1</Field1>
  <Field2>2004-10-01</Field2>
  <Field3>Team A</Field3>
  <Field4>Team B</Field4>
 </Row>
</import>

Well you could use position() mod 10=1 to get every tenth row, and then
apply-templates to each of the following 9 siblings BUT......

...with 1 million rows you will probably be waiting a while for the
document to load into memory, so you would be better of writing a sax
filter and processing only 100 rows at a time (and then rebuilding the
result), or using something like STX which can transform the xml as its
read in.

cheers
andrew

This message has been scanned for all viruses by BTnet VirusScreen. The
service is delivered in partnership with MessageLabs.

This service does not scan any password protected or encrypted
attachments.

If you are interested in finding out more about the service, please
visit our website at
http://www.btignite.com/internetservices/btnet/products_virusscreen.htm