xsl-list

RE: alternative for modes

2004-02-12 04:10:39
Indeed, that's what I wanted, something like 'function pointers' in C/C++
programming.

I might be looking into Dimitre's FXSL, but I can't use it in this
situation, since it's a school exercise and I have to use standard XSLT
specifications (no extensions allowed).

So there is nothing else possible than some crap of if-conditions, to
'simulate' several modes in one template/function?

Thanks for your input,

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Michael Kay
Sent: donderdag 12 februari 2004 11:58
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] alternative for modes

As I mentioned above, 'generalTemplate' can be called on
several places in the template, because everytime I need the
same calculations, ... on the 'root'-tag. But each time (in
every other place), I actually need different manipulations
on the 'child'-tag.

In effect, you want a higher-order function/template that accepts a
function/template as a parameter and then calls that function/template.

This is precisely what Dimitre's FXSL approach does. You can't supply a
template as a parameter, but you can supply a node that acts as a
surrogate for the template, so that when you apply-templates to that
node, the template that's invoked depends on which node was supplied.

Michael Kay