xsl-list

RE: How to filter element values...

2004-02-11 04:08:30
I could be reading it wrong, but I don't think that section
covers the behavior that I am seeing. The built-in template
calls <xsl:apply-templates mode="m"/>, "which allows
recursive processing to continue in the same mode". I
wouldn't expect the built-in text() and attribute template to
apply to every mode, at least I don't see that described in
the spec...

The 1.0 spec could indeed be clearer, and the 2.0 spec is.

But there has to be a built-in rule for every node/mode combination, and
it seems difficult from the text as written to make your deduction that
the built-in rule for a text node in a non-default mode is an empty rule
that does nothing.

Michael Kay

I would expect this stylesheet:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; >
  <xsl:template match="/">
      <MISSING_MODE>
      <xsl:apply-templates mode="MISSING_MODE"/>
      </MISSING_MODE>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

to output:

<MISSING_MODE>
</MISSING_MODE>

and not:

<MISSING_MODE>
... all of the text nodes in the xml document ... </MISSING_MODE>

Both Xalan and Saxon behave as though there is a built-in
text and attribute template that is equivalent to:

<xsl:template match="text()|@*" mode="m">
  <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

Josh