xsl-list

RE: Generate list of XSL Stylesheets from XML root node

2004-02-08 13:15:32
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
kakridge(_at_)bellsouth(_dot_)net
Sent: 08 February 2004 19:42
Subject: [xsl] Generate list of XSL Stylesheets from XML root node

I realize part of my problem is specific to .NET, so I will
only focus on the XML/XSLT portion.  Let's say that I have
one xml file that can be used by 10 different stylesheets to
generate different reports.  Right now I am giving the user
20 different stylesheet selections, 10 of which will not work
with the specific data.  I want to only list the 10 reports
that work.  Is there a way for me to match the root node with
a specific stylesheet?  For instance, if my XML root node is

Of course, why not use xsl:apply-templates ? Your different stylesheets
can all be included or imported into your 'main; stylesheet.

<ArrayOfClassRoster>, is there an element I can create in the
XSL that I can check to see in order to determine if it can
be run with this XML?

Not sure what u mean, but u can always do

<xsl:apply-templates select="ArrayOfClassRoster"/>

Then use

<xsl:template match="ArrayOfClassRoster">

        Do something.....

</xsl:template>

That way the existance of a particular element or root node would only
get processed if the <xsl:template match=""/> is present, this sort of
thing is a fundamental tenat to xslt processing.

My thought is to loop through all of my stylesheets and
return all matches to the xml root node.  If anyone has a
better way of dynamically matching the xml to xsl, I would
appreciate it.  I thought of using a db, but I don't want the

my head is hurting trying to understand what u mean. Perhaps you are
thinking procedurally, that is looping through your processing code to
match the data, whereas in xslt you tend to let the data lead the
processing. Perhaps you have distinct stylesheets that you wish to apply
in whole, w/o an example not quite sure.

Gl, Jim Fuller