xsl-list

RE: FO Processor choice

2004-02-03 07:14:02

Hi Andrew,

At first you should make your needs for FO-processor clear.

 Do you wish to make complicated layout or simple form?

Well at the moment I would say its complicated - I might say differently
when Ive learnt more of the language :)

 How many pages do you need to format at one time?

Anywhere from 1 to 100, not too many

 Which language are you going to use?

I need to offer a 'print preview', so I was going to use PDF

 What kind of graphics do you use?

cgm's at the moment, but these can converted into a supported format.

 Which kind of environment do you use the processor?

It will be on a server, for the standalone installations I would
pre-render the pdf and distribute that rather than buy a license for
each installion.

 Which font do you use?

Arial

 Do you wish to print to paper?

Yes.

FOP may do some basic job, but it is not able to format
variety of complicated layout. And it has some limitations
such as font handling, large volume page and
mis-implimentation of XSL-FO spec, etc.

Ok.

As for the cost, there is no difference between free or
commertial software. The difference is only who payes for the
compensasion. Will you will pay for it, or will some other
person pay for it?

Ultimately I guess ;) it's just a lot easier using 'free' software than
convincing your boss to fork out $5000 - the first question I'll be
asked is 'why can't we use FOP?' and I haven't been able to find any
good reason on the net so far to justify not using it.

cheers
andrew