xsl-list

Re: Variables and Values

2004-03-24 03:36:10

  Ploughing through the archives, I am starting to realise that the XSLT
  will not be able to do all that I want (since I cannot reset variables,
  etc) so I think that the best thing for me is to break things down a
  bit so that any programming style logic is handled in programming code
  before I do the transformation.

Any computation possible in any executable language is executable in a
declarative language that (necessarily) does not allow the updating of
variables.

So while there may or may not be reasons to prefer different languages
for certain types of computations, the fact that variables in xslt act
like normal variables (and denote values rather than memory locations
as they do in imperative languages) is not an issue in deciding this.

David

http://www.star.net.uk