xsl-list

Re: Rotated Tables

2004-03-12 04:49:59
At 2004-03-11 16:39 -0800, Dan Vint wrote:
Does XSL allow this. I want to take a portrait document and have some pages with tables turned on a regular portrait page. So the heading and footer for the page will be in the normal locations but the table will read from the long edge or landscape view.

Because the body region is a reference area, you can change the reference orientation of it separately than that of the before and after regions, giving you portrait-orientation headers and footers and landscape-orientation tables.

The kicker is planning ahead to do so in successive page sequences.

If your authors are able to arbitrarily indicate that a given table is to have a landscape orientation, the transformation can be quite awkward. But, it turns out there is enough of a predictable pattern that for one of my customers who needed just this, author-triggered landscape tables, I created a new formatting semantic called Page Sequence Master Interleave (PSMI). An XSLT stylesheet is available from our web site at no charge that implements this formatting semantic. The first of a two-stage transformation turns out to be much easier to write.

Go to the "Free resources" section in the right marginalia of our home page and you'll find PSMI under the XSL-FO free resources. A landscape table in portrait headers is the exemplar for this resource.

I hope this helps.

--
US XSL training: Washington,DC March 15; San Francisco,CA March 22
World-wide on-site corporate, government & user group XML training