xsl-list

Re: value-of or apply-templates

2004-03-10 05:24:47

  <xsl:apply-templates />

  or:

  <xsl:value-of select=".">

  when you get to the node nested at the lowest level and you simply want to
get
  its content?

if you know that you should probably use value-of as it's probably a
fraction quicker, and it _definitely_ produces what you want
(apply-templates will produce whatever the template for text nodes does
which may or may not be the same as value-of.

On the other hand, for document types that I control, whenever I've used
value-of because I "know" I'm at a leaf we've later extended the
document type to deal with something or other and allowed markup there
so then I've had to go back and change to apply-templates.

So, for fixed public things, docbook, xhtml, etc I'd use value-of but
for more fluid things I'd use apply-templates.

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew