xsl-list

RE: Looking for Tools & Books

2004-04-15 04:32:35
First you need a good programmer's editor. I suggest the shareware product
UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com). It has the usual things programmer's editors
have (color-coded syntax highlighting, auto-complete, a variety of project
management tools, macros, templates, etc.). One thing I particularly like is
the button on the toolbar that lets you view the file you are editing in your
default browser. I use that for debugging JavaScript and checking the
appearance of my HTML.

A good book on JavaScript is indispensable. I suggest the "JavaScript Bible",
ISBN 0764533428. For really good JavaScript implementations, you will want to
use an object-oriented programming approach. The late, lamented imprint, WROX
had an OO JavaScript book
entitled JavaScript Objects, ISBN 1861001894. You can find it second-hand on
the web

You can also use UltraEdit to debug XSLT transformations, but for really tricky
problems, you may want to get a copy of XSLerator from Marrowsoft
(www.marrowsoft.com).

Depending on how much XSLT you already know, there are a number of books I
could recommend. The XSLT Programmer's Reference, 2nd Edition, by Michael Kay
is a good reference book. I found that I couldn't understand the tutorial parts
until I had first got some experience. I have bought and thrown away more XML
books than I care to remember, but the quality seems to be getting better.
Jenni Tenison's books are good. Inside XSLT from New Riders by Steven Holzner
is good (ISBN 0735711364).
--
Charles Knell
cknell(_at_)onebox(_dot_)com - email