xsl-list

Re: Doctype and namespaces in source/generated files

2004-05-29 05:59:50
At 2004-05-28 18:44 -0700, Mayo wrote:
I've figured out how to generate doctype for the document, but whenever I introduce

doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";

into <xsl:output> element, the spacing in the output gets really weird. I know there is <xsl:strip-space>, but that still doesn't fix things.
    <xsl:element name="b">
        <xsl:value-of select="'blarg'"/>
    </xsl:element>
      <b>blarg
</b>

That looks to me like your XSLT processor is inferring indent="yes" for <xsl:output>. This messed me up when I was trying to abut images next to each other without any space in between, yet the processor would put each image on a new line, thus introducing the new-line sequence after each one.

I explicitly use <xsl:output indent="no"/> and while the resulting HTML doesn't look great in a text editor, it looks just fine in a browser, which is what is important.

As a result of my own experience, when I teach about indent= I advise my students that it is fine for diagnostics but should always be indent="no" for production purposes, even when using HTML. In my case I would never have been able to get the images to abut.

I hope this helps.

--
Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc