xsl-list

RE: will processors support XHTML?

2004-05-27 01:23:02
<script src="js.js"/>

I think you have to make sure the end tag is there by inserting a empty
<xsl:text></xsl:text> into the script content.

xsl:output/@method="xhtml"

Currently I use method="xml"; but also set the XHTML docType and namespace.

I am still very new to this so you might want to do some further checking on
that.

Regards,
Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Koberg [mailto:rob(_at_)koberg(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, 29 April, 2004 12:57 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] will processors support XHTML?

Hi,

I was wondering if the processor developers have any plans to support
xsl:output/@method="xhtml" for xsl version 1.0? I see it for XSL v2, so
perhaps there is no need, but I am feeling that many will stick with v1
for a while.

When people start switching over (to XHTML) there are going to be many
frustrated users who have a page outputted with:

<script src="js.js"/>
or
<title/>

This will cause the page to not display (even though the xhtml is there)
-- they need end elements.

Or:

<textarea/>

which will cause the rest of the page below the textarea to be placed
inside of it.

Have people found other problems?

For a potential faq, here are some workarounds:

<script src="js.js">//</script>

<xsl:template match="xhtml:title | xhtml:textarea">
   <xsl:if test="not(boolean(text()))">
     <xsl:text> </xsl:text>
   </xsl:if>
   <xsl;apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

I wonder how many people have tried to output XHTML only to be
frustrated and go back to HTML.

best,
-Rob