xsl-list

Help: Reasons to use XML/XSL ?

2004-05-19 06:15:43
Hey,

Thanks ahead of time to each of you for reading this.

I'm an XSD, XML, XSLT Newbie....and am trying to learn the process.
However, I really need some input - not from a programming perspective,
but from a philosophy and usage perspective.

For instance, I'm a current user and programmer of Perl...using SQL, CGI,
and Perl DBI for pulling information from an Informix Relational Database.
 I'm able to pull data out of a database quite easily...via Perl
DBI/SQL...and format it with Perl into quality HTML pages. ..and the
process is rather efficient.

For HTML, I can build the pages via wriing the code myself, or using Perl
script, etc,  I can also, at times, use a text editor (or text editor
assistant / html formatter) to build basic html and modify it as needed.
[Instead of coding a table by hand, for example, I'll use an editor
assistant (such as Dreamweaver, or Notetab) to create all the code for a
3x4 table...and then modify and/or populate the HTML as needed].

So for this process, I'm going from database ...via Perl script...to HTML.

In learning XSD, XML, XSLT, however, I just don't see the advantage of it?
 What more does XSD, XML, XSLT give me as a programmer?

For me to do the same steps....to go from a database to web page, it seems
to me that I have to take three [or four] more major steps...each
involving a more complicated process. From my beginner perspective, I have
to build a XSD...and then a matching XML - based upon the XSD (validating,
etc.).  For output, I have build the output leg, XSLT (transforming the
XML, etc)....to get the same results.  I just don't see the advantage.

In my current programming, I'm using one scripting process

        DATABASE -->  [1] Perl/DBI (using SQL) --> To HTML/Web Page

In using XML, I need  three (or four) processes:

        [1] Build XSD first.  Then:  DATABASE --> [2] Perl/DBI (using SQL) -->
XML.  Then,
        [3] Build an XSLT --> [4] Transform the XML via XSLT --> HTML/Web page

Isn't this far more complicated?

Granted, I could see advantages if I were outputting my data in different
ways...say, one of my outputs was for the Internet, another for a PDA,
another for an RSS feed....etc.

OR, I could possibly see  advantages [per the claims I've heard from big
corporations] if I were a great business enterprise...and all my data
needed to be standard...and I needed to use my own mark-up language -
though I'm not fully convinced of this.

But for simple processes....from database to web, I just don't get it  It
seems far more complicated, and [other than buiiding my resume skills]
raises the question if it's worth...

So, for an uneducated newbie, can you help?  I've learned XSD...and
XML...and am working on the XSLT, but I haven't seen enough to "buy into
it".  What's the real benefit of learning and using XSD, XML, AND XSLT?  -
especially over a simple process like Perl/DBI....and why ?

THANK YOU ahead of time,

Jarrell

Jarrell R. Dunson, III
Asbury Theological Seminary
Administrative Computing Coordinator
Jarrell_Dunson(_at_)asburyseminary(_dot_)edu
(859) 858-2379 (direct)
(859) 858-2330 (fax)