xsl-list

RE: Global variable problem

2004-05-12 07:12:38
Based on your Subject: line, I understand you to mean that you want to declare
a global variable at the top of your stylesheet and assign a value to it later.
This cannot be done. You must assign a value to the variable within the element
used to declare it. This misunderstanding of variables in XSLT is frequently
made by programmers new to XSLT.

However, by looking at your XSLT, I see two places where you select the
value-of the global variable for display. Since the variable was declared
without a value, you will get nothing when you select the value-of. From your
stylesheet I don't see an attempt to assign a value to the variable anywhere,
so maybe I am mislead by your subject line.

What exactly is the problem you are having? Neither the code, nor the data, nor
description makes it plain.
--
Charles Knell
cknell(_at_)onebox(_dot_)com - email

-----Original Message-----
From:     Angeshwar Deepak <angeshwar(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
Sent:     Wed, 12 May 2004 05:59:09 -0700 (PDT)
To:       xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject:  [xsl] Global variable problem

Hi,

I have a problem. I have declared a global variable
in the <xsl:stylesheet tag.

I am using a jscript function which is called from a
for-each loop. The function which returns a value is
stored in xsl variable. I want to use this variable in
another for-each loop.

(Note that the value is dynamic ie only after the end
of the loop i get the final value)-so i need the final
value after the end of loop.

I read the previous replies concerning this problem
but could not get any solution.