xsl-list

RE: XML style selected by browser language setting?

2004-06-30 03:15:34

I think your only option here is to use clientside script to perform the
transform, and then pass in the language setting as a parameter.  As
it's clientside in IE you will be using msxml3 (unless you use script,
in which case you could use msxml4 if it's available), and I don't think
that has an extention function to obtain the langauge setting.

Visit

http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/xsl_client.asp

For some tutorial on clientside transforms.

cheers
andrew

This is what I am trying to achieve without much success so far:

On a local harddrive or network (so there is no web server
involved) the user will point his file browser at some xml
file. The xml file will reference an xsl stylesheet like this:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Stylesheet.xsl"?>

My aim is for the stylesheet to find out the language setting
of the user's browser. I have tried JavaScript
navigator.language. While I managed to show the language
setting in the browser window, what I really want, is to
select language dependent style info, like keywords, data
format, etc., based on the language setting. So, if my xml
file contains something like this:

<Distance>100</Distance>

With a browser language setting of German this might
automatically be displayed as:

Entfernung: 100 km

and with English-US as:

Distance: 62 miles

My problem is not having multiple stylesheets achieving this,
or using external files with the language dependent info, the
problem is the automatic selection of the proper styling
based on the browser setting.

I do not want to have the user having to select a language by
some on-screen mechanism. This only has to work in Internet
Explorer 6.0, but if this also works for other browsers that
would be even better.

Since I am relatively new to the combination of xsl and
scripting I would appreciate an answer with foolproof
examples that I can understand.