xsl-list

RE: Building a hierarchy based on siblings

2004-06-10 21:33:41
Hey Ryan,

Kind of an interesting situation that has several possible solutions.
But from your comments it seems that getting a good grasp of how to
properly use recursion to build nested output is something you are in
seek of.  So I gave you an example that uses as much recursion as
possible to help you in your quest :)

I was going to try and comment it a bit but I actually just realized the
time and I need to head out for a bit so I can attend a buddy of mines
bachelor party.  But I don?t plan on drinking too much so when I return
Ill look to see if you had any questions.  Otherwise, enjoy!  I hope you
find this helpful in better understanding how you can use recursion in
multiple ways in XSLT.

Best of luck!

<M:D/>

Heres the XSLT:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
version="1.0">
<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>
<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:element name="sect1">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="sect1/para[not(starts-with(.,'* '))]"
mode="normal"/>
  </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="para" mode="normal"><!-- no pun intended.  I like
X-Files but not so much I name my attribute values to match the shows
focus ;) -->
<xsl:variable name="followingParagraph"
select="following-sibling::para[not(starts-with(., '*'))][1]"/>
  <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
  <xsl:if test="following-sibling::para[1][starts-with(., '* ')]">
    <xsl:element name="itemizedlist">
      <xsl:apply-templates
select="following-sibling::para[starts-with(.,'* ') and
not(preceding-sibling::para = $followingParagraph)]" mode="buildList"/>
    </xsl:element>
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="para" mode="buildList">
  <xsl:element name="listitem">
    <xsl:element name="para">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="text() | *"/>
    </xsl:element>
  </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="text()[starts-with(., '* ')]">
  <xsl:value-of select="substring-after(., '* ')"/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="text() | *">
  <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Heres the transformed result of the XML you gave as an example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<sect1>
  <para>First Paragraph</para>
  <itemizedlist>
    <listitem>
      <para>First list item</para>
    </listitem>
    <listitem>
      <para>Second list item</para>
    </listitem>
    <listitem>
      </para>
    </listitem>
  </itemizedlist>
  <para>Second Paragraph</para>
  <para>Third paragraph</para>
  <itemizedlist>
    <listitem>
      <para>First list item #2</para>
    </listitem>
    <listitem>
      <para>Second list item #2</para>
    </listitem>
  </itemizedlist>
  <para>Another paragraph</para>
</sect1>

Enjoy!  I'm off to get a little loopy 8$ but will return before to long
so don?t hesitate to ask questions...  Worst case Ill get back to you in
the morning.