xsl-list

Re: Trouble using recursion to make a Counter

2004-07-30 09:17:34
I agree with the others.  I think you should reconsider your data.
This probably isn't your real data, but if it is it seems odd to have
level 2 description/id within a level 3 element.

            <Level3>
                  <Level2Desc>Condo</Level2Desc>
                  <Level2ID>1001</Level2ID>
            </Level3>

- Dave

--- greyson(_dot_)smith(_at_)convergys(_dot_)com wrote:

Hello!  I've been struggling with something that seemed very simple when I
first started looking at it, but has become frustrating.  I have hit the
archives and google, yet have found nothing to spark my imagination.  All I
need is to process my xml and for each node that I process increment and
print a counter to the result file.

I have data that looks like this:

<level1>
      <Level1Desc>Neighborhood</Level1Desc>
      <Level1ID>1</Level1ID>
      <Level2>
            <Level2Desc>Street</Level2Desc>
            <Level2ID>100</Level2ID>
            <Level3>
                  <Level2Desc>House</Level2Desc>
                  <Level2ID>1000</Level2ID>
            </Level3>
            <Level3>
                  <Level2Desc>Condo</Level2Desc>
                  <Level2ID>1001</Level2ID>
            </Level3>
      </Level2>
      <Level2>
            <Level2Desc>Park</Level2Desc>
            <Level2ID>101</Level2ID>
      </Level2>
</level1>

There are many level 1s in my data.

I have looked at using the position function, but it seems to be based on
levels, so i was getting 1s 2s and 3s quite a bit.  I tried looking at
recursion, but the examples I found were not nested.

I have been trying to use recursion samples that I found using this list
which I shall not reprint, but can supply a copy if needed.

So the end result of the processing would look something like

1 Neighborhood
2 Street
3 House
4 Condo
5 Park

Which is to say that every item that I do something with I need a unique
sequential number.

Thank you.
--
"NOTICE:  The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or

--+--