xsl-list

Re: Need: XSL FO Schema/ .XSD/ Validator? "defined" or "variable" based on the FO Processor used. Comments on the listed Items I have found.

2004-07-19 18:34:34
At 2004-07-19 15:14 -0500, SANWAL, ABHISHEK (HP-Houston) wrote:
I want some comments on peoples experiences with
the XSL-FO validators they have used, developed or extended?

Ideas on how you have used existing XSL-FO validation schemas to trap
and handle errors or anything of that type.

Why?  In my opinion, this is wasted time.

Is there an XSL FO Schema file that I can use to validate my FO outputs
in XML-Spy as I am developing the code?

Having a typing assistant for saving keystrokes is one thing, and editors can have catalogues of elements and attributes (yes, I agree that a schema is a suitable catalogue format), but since XSL-FO processors necessarily validate what you give them, I don't think you'll find an official document model expression.

At the same time I want to be able to load and apply this XSD validation
to the generated FO output at run-time using a Schema Validator class
(which I have written by extending the available framework).

Again, I'm not sure why.

I did find the DTD and the XSLT validation on Render X site

Sure ... but they document that as an *internal* tool they've shared with the community because they use that inside their processor.

Any resources or XSD files for FO (strict or non-strict XSDs) that you
can share and experiences with them. Please do let me know.

My experience is that the processors I've used have been very helpful in telling me when I'm misusing attributes or have unrecognized elements in the FO namespace (unrecognized elements in other namespaces are regarded simply as extensions).

I hope this helps.

--
Public training 3 days XSLT & 2 days XSL-FO: Phoenix,AZ 2004-08-23
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com