xsl-list

Re: position() in sequences in XSLT 2.0

2004-07-15 02:29:02

with saxon 8 with your original code I get a java stack overflow.
Which is probably the correct thing (Although I suppose saxon could
catch this and give a more xslt oriented error)

the problem is that your $empty variable contains a tree with a document
node containing an empty element so when you apply templates to three
copies of it you apply templates to three / nodes which match your
template for / and bang you loop ad infinitum.

Change

return $empty

return $empty/*

so your sequence just has the elements or

add

 as ="element()"

to the xsl:variable declaration to suprress the implicit document node
(don't do both of these)

then:

$ saxon8 s8.xml s8.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>