xsl-list

RE: XSL pattern needed for begin/end elements

2004-07-07 09:40:19
Hi Tracy,

to start, your XML (both source and target) is not well-formed...
id=3D"111", etc. - did some nasty character get mixed in perhaps?

We might want to guess what's your real XML is like, but we better await
your answer.

Cheers,
<prs/>

-----Original Message-----
From: Tracy Atteberry [mailto:Tracy(_dot_)Atteberry(_at_)stellent(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 11:15 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] XSL pattern needed for begin/end elements

Hi all,

I'm looking for an XSL pattern to solve the problem of going from XML that
has separate begin and end elements to one that does not.

Please, please note that I do not control either the source or target XML
formats.  If I did, this would be much easier.

Source XML snip:

<doc>
  <hyperlink_begin id=3D"111" end=3D"222">
    <locator_url protocol=3D"http" host_name=3D"www.sf.net"/>
  </hyperlink_begin>
  <text_run>Click</text_run>
  <text_run emphasis=3D"bold">here.</text_run>
  <hyperlink_end id=3D"222" begin=3D"111"/> </doc>

Target XML example:

<cod>
  <HyperLink xlink:href=3D"http://www.sf.net";>
    Click <b>here.</b>
  </HyperLink>
</cod>

In my case I can assume that associated begin and end hyperlink tags will
occur as siblings -- though generally this is not the case and in fact, this
is the reason the begin and end tags are unique elements.

I have a template that /almost/ works so feel free to let me know why it
fails OR suggest a completely different solution.

Current XSL template snip:

<xsl:template match=3D"//hyperlink_begin">
    <xsl:variable name=3D"linkUrl">
        <xsl:value-of select=3D"locator_url/@protocol"/>
        <xsl:text>://</xsl:text>
        <xsl:value-of select=3D"locator_url/@host_name"/>
    </xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name=3D"endID" select=3D"@end"/>
    <xsl:element name=3D"HyperLink">
        <xsl:attribute name=3D"xlink:href"><xsl:value-of
select=3D"$linkUrl"/></xsl:attribute>
        <xsl:apply-templates select=3D"(following-sibling::*) except
(following-sibling::hyperlink_end[(_at_)id=3D$endID]/following-sibling::*)"/>
    </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>

This produces the correct hyperlink but the template for text_run elements
gets called twice this way -- once inside the hyperlink, then again as
templates continue to be applied.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Tracy Atteberry

PS. I'm using Saxon 8