xsl-list

Re: FW: FW: 2-step transformation

2004-07-07 06:37:36
I wish I could take credit but just like I told Ranjan I either picked this or a similar solution up off DaveP's(http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/) FAQ and recycled it or learned it directly from one of Michael Kay's(http://www.saxonica.com/) or Jeni Tennison's(http://www.jenitennison.com/) posts. It may have even been from Wendell Piez(http://www.xmlshoestring.com) or Dimitre Novatchev(http://fxsl.sourceforge.net/) or Steve Muench(http://radio.weblogs.com/0118231/) or any number of the early pioneers of this list and of XSLT. I came in too late in the game to claim any credit for the solutions I post back to the list so the credit should go to one or several of those folks for sure. But I am more than happy to be a messenger as I'm sure you will be for someone else new to the list a bit later on down the road. It's pretty neat how the whole system works :)

Best regards,

<M:D/>
 :: Saxon.NET is available in an early beta release to those willing to help
eradicate bugs by
    testing features and performance and reporting back the results with
suggestions for improvement ::

 :: Please visit http://www.x2x2x.org/x2x2x/home to learn more about this early
implementation and how you can help bring
    the bits to code complete and ultimately XSLT 2.0, XPath 2.0, and XQuery
support to the .NET 1.1 and 2.0 framework ::

Robert Soesemann wrote:
Your answer was definitely great help. No I can solve it. Thank you very
very much!

-----Original Message-----
From: M. David Peterson [mailto:m(_dot_)david(_at_)mdptws(_dot_)com] Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 14:03 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: FW: [xsl] FW: 2-step transformation

Robert Soesemann wrote:

But in XSL I have no arrays to iterate over again and again and no global variables.

You dont have arrays, youre right... but you do have something much
better in the elements of your XML file.  Show me an array[] that
contains more descriptive and complex information/data than what an XML file can
contain and Ill show you code that wont compile.

The short answer to your problem is to use string-length(); e.g.
<xsl:variable name="length" select="string-length(/items)"/> compare
that to your max-length... if its greater then create another variaable to hold the
value of max-length divided by the count of the elements (e.g.
<xsl:variable name="max-individual-length" select="$max-length div count(/items)"/>.
Then you use this number within a substring() function to cut off each
string when it reaches the maximum value allowed for each string (e.g.
<xsl:value-of select="substring(item, 1, $max-individual-length)"/>)

If you want to get even further detailed you can check to see if
max-individual-length is greater than the length of the current string
and then rewrite this using xsl:apply-templates or xsl:call-templates using the xsl:with-param to tell the matching template to add a bit more to the maximum-sting-length allowed for the current element to make up the
difference...

Hope this helps!

Regards,

<M:D/>

Any ideas how to solve this truncation thing.

Cheers Robert