xsl-list

Re: sorting after looking up a value from a db table

2004-07-06 16:21:01
Sort will work on an alpha or numeric based sequences. Five really good places to visit to learn more about sorting in XSLT are:

Jeni Tennison's XML/XSLT /Schema pages found at http://www.jenitennison.com/

Dave Pawson's XSL FAQ (a summary of years of postings to this list) at http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/xslfaq.html

Amazon.com where you can buy Michael Kay's Programmers Reference (a must for every XSLT developers book shelf) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861005067/qid=1089155416/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-9068386-9335222?v=glance&s=books

W3C.org where you can reference the XSLT specification that will at least tell you how a certain feature is supposed to work if not exactly how it does: http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/

And in between all of this (sometimes the best references in the world - and these are as good as they get - don't answer things in a way we understand or give examples that apply to our situation) there's this list.

My guess is that you will find quite a bit of information on sorting from the above links but if you still have questions then I assure you someone here will have the answer to your question although I cant guarantee what that answer will be...

Hope the above links help!

Best regards,

<M:D/>

K L wrote:

If I had the following xml:
<contentID>9999
<tab>
 <tabID>8340
 <tab-order>2</tab-order>
 <section>
     <sectionID>8743
     <section-order>2</section-order>
 </section>
 <section>
     <sectionID>9472
     <section-order>1</section-order>
 </sectionID>
</tab>
<tab>
 <tabID>1111
 <tab-order>1</tab-order>
 <section>
     <sectionID>7393
     <section-order>3</section-order>
 </section>
 <section>
     <sectionID>8743
     <section-order>2</section-order>
 </section>
 <section>
     <sectionID>9472
     <section-order>1</section-order>
 </sectionID>
</tab>
</contentID>

I need to display all section names in alphabetical
order.  To get the section names, I need to do a db
table lookup by passing the sectionID.  Could this
sort be done using xsl?