xsl-list

Re: file extensions in xsl

2004-07-02 02:33:35

So when would anyone use a .xslt file extension?

You should not (in general) assume any special semantics for any
extension. For example on an ISO format CDROM you can't have .xslt at
all. On my "home" ISP I can not use .xsl for XSLT files as they are
served with a mime type of text/plain (and I can't change the mime type
without paying money) so I serve XSLT files with .xml.

On a web server the extension should _never_ have any effect (although
IE does sometimes use this in non standard ways to override the
specified mime type) the server sends an "HTTP header" along with the
file, and this should explictly declare that the files are an XML mime
type (eg application/xml or application/xml+xsl).

On the filesystem, for local files the extension will have an effect,
but you can not ask on a global group what that effect will be, it all
depends on your local settings (in the registrary on windows, or the
.mimetypes file on unix/linux). This will define a default mapping on
your system between extensions and mime types (and possibly a default
application)

David

--
The LaTeX Companion