xsl-list

Wildcards in namespaces ?

2004-07-01 00:30:21
Hello,

I would appreciate some help with the following problem:

I'm writing a XSLT stylesheet for processing of UML XMI files. Alas,
depending on the UML tool, the elements in the XMI file are placed in a
different namespace. E.g. Poseidon (www.gentleware.com) uses the
namespace-URI xmlns:UML = "org.omg.xmi.namespace.UML", and Rational Rose
uses xmlns:UML = "href://org.omg/UML/1.3". However, all of them generate a
prefix UML: for their XMI elements.

Now my problem is: how can I define a namespace in my XSLT stylesheet so
that I can process all XMI files with the SAME stylesheet ? I came across a
remark on the XSLT FAQ suggesting that it is possible to use wildcards in
the namespace, eg <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:UML="*UML*">. And indeed, it seems
that Xalan 2.6.0 recognizes this notation. However, libxslt 1.1.6
(xmlsoft.org) does not.

I tried to look it up in the XSLT and XML Namespace specifications, but I
couldn't find whether this is valid. Could someone help me out on this one ?
If it is NOT valid XSLT, is there another way to achieve the same result ?

Regards,

Mick Baggen
Principal Consultant
Technolution B.V.
E-mail:          mick(_dot_)baggen(_at_)technolution(_dot_)nl