xsl-list

Re: Word 2003 schema and XSL

2004-09-11 18:03:38
Thanks Manos, that does help.  I actually had forgotten about the OO
XML support.  I'll have to delve into more.  Unfortunately, I don't
really have much flexibility due to some corporate restrictions.  But,
I could always use it myself....

And Tom, users, please.  I have a special particularly hard spot on my
cube wall where I can bang my head after dealing with them!  =)

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:29:26 +0300
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
From: Emmanouil Batsis <Emmanouil(_dot_)Batsis(_at_)eurodyn(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: [xsl] Word 2003 schema and XSL

0 8 wrote:

We have some very light XML creation needs and we're considering Word
2003 to allow authors and copyeditors to work in a familiar
environment while also making sure we can quickly get a document into
XML as we need it.  We'd actually be using this over something like
XMetaL.

I'd actually suggest Open Office over something like Word 2003 since it
saves XML, is customizable, open source and free... unless it doesn't
have a feature you need?

The documents will be simple: paragraphs, headings, bold/italic,
lists, simple tables, an image or two.  The approach will be simple as
well (I hope): WordML -> XSL -> Our XML -> repository.

The OO XML File Filter Tool "makes it easy to integrate new import or
export file filters that are based on XSL transformations". You can
write your own filter to automate the proccess of saving directly to
your XML.

Are there any serious "gotchas" lurking with Word 2003 and WordML?

M$ world domination ;-)

I've heard it doesn't live up to the claim of letting the user define
and edit against their own schema very well, but that's not a problem
for us right now.

True, the basic version does not have this. I believe the filter feature
of OO will allow you to save to any vocabulary you want if you provide
the mapping between OO and your schema as a stylesheet...

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/1.1/

hth,

Manos