xsl-list

RE: how to keep XSLT and XSD documents in sync?

2004-09-09 00:31:39

Hi, Something struck me recently -- if one specifies valid
XML docs in
XSD schemas.. is there a tool that will autogenerate or check XSLT
scripts that are intended to process the XML documents from such
schemas?

There are tools that get you started in writing a stylesheet starting from a
schema, but that's only a small part of the answer. It's very much part of
the strategy for XSLT 2.0 that the language is schema-aware: for example,
you can write template rules that apply to all members of a substitution
group, or all elements that have a particular type, and thus help to make
your stylesheet resilient against schema changes.

Presumably an IDE that knows about the schema and the stylesheet will then
be able to offer a "rename" operation that applies the change across the
board.

Some of the potential benefits of XSLT integration with XML Schema have
still to be proven but the intent is there. What I've done so far in
Saxon-SA is really only a small start, but I'm already finding that many
errors in stylesheets are diagnosed more quickly and more accurately.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/