xsl-list

last() and distinct-values 2.0

2004-10-25 19:08:53
Hi,

I'm trying to change our stylesheets over to 2.0 and saxon 8, but am getting confused about the behaviour of the last() function. My test case is below, it has a variable called $languages, with many <lang> elements.
I wanted to get the 3 distinct languages from there.
If I comment out the last() function, it works as I expect, but when I add the last() function inside the for-each loop I get it returning '2', and only get 1 iteration from the loop.
I expect the last() function to return 3.

Any suggestions/hints would be welcome

thanks,
Jurn

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0"
                xmlns:fn="http://www.w3.org/2003/11/xpath-functions";>
  <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:variable name="languages">
      <lang>English</lang>
      <lang>English</lang>
      <lang>Chinese</lang>
      <lang>French</lang>
      <lang>French</lang>
      <lang>Chinese</lang>
      <lang>French</lang>
      <lang>Chinese</lang>
    </xsl:variable>
    <xsl:for-each select="fn:distinct-values($languages/lang)">
      <xsl:value-of select="position()"/>,
      <xsl:value-of select="."/>,
      <xsl:value-of select="last()"/>
      --