xsl-list

RE: Carriage Return

2004-10-20 07:49:02
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 cknell(_at_)onebox(_dot_)com wrote:

I believe this is platform-dependent. Windows wants both a
carriage-return and line-feed character to move down a line and to the
left edge. Macintosh will accept the carriage-return only. I don't know
about the various flavors of Unix/Linux shells.

Under Unix/Linux, the default for pressing "Enter" key is to get a ^M
(Control-M).

If you send a CTRL-M to console it will move to beginning of line and will
not go to the next line.

For example: abcd^Mefgh will only display "efgh" (since "abcd" is
overwritten).

CTRL-J (the linefeed) will go to the next line and also put cursor at
beginning of line also under Unix.

 Jeremy C. Reed

                         BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
                         http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/