xsl-list

Re: Output a default value for an empty node

2004-10-06 06:40:53

not that it really matters unless you are doing millions of these on a
very slow machine but

test="string-length(member_name)=0"

is probably fractionally better written as

test="string(member_name)"

because that saves it counting the length of a string (strings used in a
test are true if non-empty, so you don't really need the length) on the
other hand Mike will probably tell us saxon special cases tests against
string-length = 0 and produces the same code in both cases.

Or perhaps best of all is to directly code in xpath what you said in
English, that there is no text child (rather than saying the effective
string value is the empty string) that would be

test="not(member_name/text())"

Also, I thought my default text was more friendly than yours:-)

David

http://www.star.net.uk