xsl-list

Re: Web sites: building common components centrally

2004-11-25 22:06:59

If you are thinking of producing your data as valid XHTML documents you
can simply add "marker" for where you want to insert the common part.
You can have empty <div> like:

and have your XSL pages match on the named div:

  <xsl:template match="div[(_at_)class='header']"/>

For adding CSS you can match on the "head" tag, copy its content and add
your styles.

And if you don't "process" your data you will have valid pages with
probably some extra empty lines (the divs).

The only thing I don't like of this approach is the amount of extra data
you have to add to produce valid XHTML page (html/head/body, etc.) but
again, if you want to have the option of not having to run an XSLT
processor on your data and still have viewable pages that makes up for it.

-- Raffaele