xsl-list

Re: On Sourceforge: Cool: Saxon driving a GUI, interactive XSLT

2004-11-19 16:48:54

David, thanks for your note. Do you have a list of the other projects?

No.  As of yet the projects I am refering to are internal to the
Saxon.NET team and more particular to the x2x2x.org members.  What we
are working on goes beyond just the GUI and incorporates a myriad of
development activities.  However, its to early in the game to go into
too much detail.  What interests me the most about what you are
working on is that we havent, as of yet, taken the next logical step
beyond the existing markup languages such as HTML/CSS, XAML, XUL,
etc...  Obviously XAML and XUL are designed to be used in conjunction
with other development languages acting in the capacity of the GUI
frontend to the .NET, Java, Mozilla, etc... development platforms.
But obviously none of these map directly to the Java GUI libraries
that your solution seems to cover quite nicely.  I think when you see
just what it is I am refering to you will see exactly how something
like this could map very nicely to what we are working on and there in
lies the potential for some joint development efforts.

If you browse the CVS today, you won't find this GUI stuff yet,
because Sourceforge hasn't updated its CVSweb snapshot yet.

I will keep an eye out and when it becomes available plan to look deep
into your solution to see where we might be able to work together and
save ourselves both time and effort where things overlap.

Here are some quick explanations about the approach. You can
define a simple SWT GUI like this:

I began to take this sample and post it on XSLTBlog.com but have since
discovered no easy way to escape the characters that I want displayed
as code and not rendered by the browser...  Standard HTML formatting
methods don't seem to do the trick.

Anybody out there have experience with MovableType and how to tell the
MT processor to escape certain portions of a posting?

I think I may end up handrolling an extension to a solution I am
already working on as it brings client side transformations into the
picture and what better way to promote the use of the power that now
exists on ever major browser than to implement a code base that
utlizes this capability.

Looking forward to viewing your source code Gunther!  Looks like you
have something pretty unique and exciting here!

Best regards,

<M:D/>