xsl-list

Re: Sorting and Paging in one pass with XSLT 2

2004-11-19 11:24:14
Michael,
Thanks for your help.

I was able to implement your solution with two small changes.
1. Closing quote on as="element(row)*"
2. Small change in group-adjacent="(position() - 1) idiv $perPage">

This solution works reasonably well. I can sort/page 1.5 Mb of data, 14,000 records in about 7 seconds from the command line on my laptop. I presume some of this time is getting java up and compiling my stylesheet, so it'll be interesting to see how it performs within my app.

java -Xmx256m net.sf.saxon.Transform -o out.xml name.xml sort_page.xsl perPage=25

With this large file this consumes about 90 Mb of RAM.

Thanks again for your expertise!
Kyle

Michael Kay wrote:

I think that any solution is likely to put the sorted results in memory
before splitting it into multiple result trees, so you shouldn't be worrying
too much about a two-pass solution. If your intermediate result is a
sequence of nodes, rather than a tree, then it should be reasonably
efficient, because the intermediate sequence will contain references to the
original nodes, rather than copies.

Try

   <xsl:template match="result">
       <xsl:variable name="sorted-rows" as="element(row)*>
         <xsl:perform-sort select="row">
           <xsl:sort select="lname"/>
           <xsl:sort select="fname"/>
         </xsl:perform-sort>
       </xsl:variable>
       <xsl:for-each-group select="$sorted-rows"
                           group-adjacent="position()-1 idiv $perPage">
           <xsl:result-document href="out{current-grouping-key()}.xml">
               <result>
                   <xsl:copy-of select="current-group()"/>
               </result>
           </xsl:result-document>
       </xsl:for-each-group>
   </xsl:template>

I'd be interested to know how this performs.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/