xsl-list

UTF-8 Byte Order Mark giving problems

2004-11-18 22:50:37
Hi all,

This is perhaps a bit off-topic, but I can't believe none of you has noticed this before. I'm using a Java 1.4.1 distribution (including Xalan 2.5.1?) and am reading an XML document with a DocumentBuilder object through the parse method. This works okay.

However, when the XML document is UTF-8 *and* includes a UTF-8 Byte Order Mark (first three bytes EF BB BF), than the parse method simply breaks with an obscure message that the document element could not be found.

Has anyone noticed this as well? If so, is there a solution?

I've written a FilterInputStream that cuts these first three bytes out, but there has got to be a nicer solution...

Thnx,
Geert